NOTE: All AMF files and downloads have been shifted to the amf wiki (http://amff.wikispaces.com/). All current information is available there. This page is preserved for historical reasons only.
This page contains information and resources regarding the AMF File format, intended to supercede the STL file format with features relevant for current and future Additive Manufacturing processes. This work is in conjunction with the current ASTM Committee F42 on Additive Manufacturing Technologies, specifically the Design Task Group on File Formats, chaired by Hod Lipson (Contact).
Join the google group to learn and discuss more about the stl 2.0 Proposal: http://groups.google.com/group/stl2
AMF Draft Presentation
(Loughborough University, July 8, 2010)
Link to Powerpoint file. ("Draft Additive Manufacturing Format")
AMF Specification Drafts
- These are old versions and should not be implemented. The current AMF spec can be obtained at http://www.astm.org/Standards/F2915.htm
- V. 0.47: PDF or DOC (Feb 3, 2011)
- V. 0.46: PDF or DOC (Dec 1, 2010)
- V. 0.45: PDF or DOC (June 23, 2010)
- V. 0.44: PDF or DOC (June 14, 2010)
- V. 0.43: PDF or DOC (June 11, 2010)
- V. 0.41: PDF or DOC (May 26, 2010)
- V. 0.40: PDF or DOC (May 24, 2010)
- Take the STL 2.0 survey: http://www.mae.cornell.edu/lipson/stl2.htm (still open)
- STL 2.0 Survey Results (as of Nov 9, 2009) and preliminary ideas: Presentation made to the ASTM F42 commitee Nov 10, 2009 by Hod Lipson
STL to AMF converter
A standalone open source windows executable that views and converts stl files to amf (v 0.44) files and back. Only basic (stl equivalent) amf features are implemented. Note: This is pre-release software which is subject to change at any time, and may not be compatible with the future ASTM approved amf file spec.
Icon to associate with AMF files
- W3C Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fifth Edition) http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/
- A Standard Default Color Space for the Internet - sRGB, http://www.w3.org/Graphics/Color/sRGB
- ZIP File Format Specification, PKWARE Inc, http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT